Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nanowrimo

I have taken the Nanowrimo challenge. Each November is National Novel Writing Month and the organization challenges you to write 50,000 words of your novel in 30 days. They have a great website (nanowrimo.org) which is full of forums with other participants, pep talks from experienced writers and fun stuff to keep you motivated. It's all free, though they do ask for a donation if you can afford one.

50,000 words in 30 days. That breaks down to about 1667 words per day. Yesterday I wrote 1050 words, so I'm already behind, but I feel really good about what I've accomplished. It was a crazy day, full of interruptions, people in and out of the house, phone calls and life in general, but I still managed to write 1050 words. That taught me an important lesson. I can write when things are busy; I don't have to wait for one of those quiet days when I can shut myself away like a hermit.

So today as I do several loads of laundry, head off for yoga class, run by and make reservations at a local restaurant for a Literacy Volunteers event later this month and address invitations for my son's wedding reception, I can still take some time to write a bit. I just have to make sure that I don't get overwhelmed and defeated by that 1667 goal. It's just a number; it's the writing that is important. Still, this is 239 words. I wonder if they count toward my goal. 

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're doing this. I know what a good storyteller you are can't wait to read your first novel. Congratulations on challenging yourself this way.

    ReplyDelete