Friday, May 10, 2013

Coming Off Aloha Time

Do you know that there is a five hour time difference between Central Texas and HawaiiIt doesn't sound like much and I didn't feel it too much when we arrived in Honolulu. I did hit a wall the second afternoon, but all it took to adjust was a couple of nights going to bed about 6:00pm.

But, I tell you, coming home has been different. We were in Hawaii three weeks, which I guess is enough time to really screw with your internal clock. We've been home six days and I'm still having trouble waking up in the mornings. My eyes creep open, thinking it's about 5:00am, which is when I typically wake up the first time every morning, and then promptly go back to sleep. But no, it's 10:00! 10:00 and all I want to do is close my eyes and go back to sleep because, in Honolulu, it is 5:00am. The first few days we slept until noon, giving ourselves the weekend to "recover." Then, as each subsequent  day dawned, we gave ourselves another day because "we are not as young as we used to be and don't bounce back as fast."

When I do finally drag myself out of bed at 10:00 or 11:00, it's not like I spring into action either. I'm not exactly "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" as my mother would say. Here it is, day six back in Texas, and I haven't finished unpacking yet. On the other hand, it is now 7:35pm and I'm energized enough to finally write a blog, something I would rarely be doing on my normal schedule at this time of day. For me, if it doesn't happen before 4:00pm, it's not going to happen that day. AND, I moved my desktop computer and printer from my office back to my sun room/reading porch, necessitating a rearranging of the furniture there as well, both accomplished after 4:00pm. I guess there is something to be said for this "not a morning person" lifestyle. My husband will be so happy to hear me say this. 

Let me just say that I anticipate being back to normal soon, I hope. We had a really wonderful and memorable trip to Hawaii and I will be sharing some of our adventures here soon. I have some great stories to tell. 

For now, I will leave you with this photo from our trip, one of nearly 900 I uploaded from my camera yesterday. No, I won't post all of them here or on Facebook, but I will share some of the best ones soon. This one shows Scott and I after our first ever helicopter ride (for both of us) over the volcanoes near Hilo on the big island of Hawaii.


Thanks for stopping by today. I'll be back as soon as I can get my head and body off Aloha time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment