Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Silent Spring

I've been absent from this blog for a long time and, unfortunately, it's not because I've been doing other productive writing or activities. Since April I have been riding a wave of illness and disappointment that took a large toll on me. I just didn't have the heart or energy to write. But I'm feeling better now, at last.

Shortly after we returned from our vacation in March, my husband and I both came down with a stomach virus. It hit me harder than it did him and took about a week for me to recover. Another week or two passed and I still was not at the top of my game. Then I started running fever and really feeling poorly, along with experiencing some fairly yucky intestinal symptoms. I went to my doctor, who told me he suspected something called post-infection colitis, which happens when your digestive system has a hard time getting back to normal after an illness.  I took a round of antibiotic and felt better for a few days. Then the infection must have re-bloomed because all the symptoms came back with a vengence, with a UTI on top of things. I was in a lot of pain, hence another round of antibiotic, this time piggy-backed with a pain reliever to make me more comfortable. I finished the last of the antibiotic last week and soon started feeling better. I don't think I'll have another "bloom" so a lot of anxiety is gone as well, plus, I'm almost pain-free at this point. I still have a little trouble at the end of the day. Now I'm just working to get my stamina back without overdoing it. I'm struggling to find that balance.


Physically, I'm on the mend and doing much better. But emotionally? Not so good. In the middle of my extended illness, we learned of a betrayal by someone very close to us. It involved the death of our son and other long time wounds. We were devasted and even now, I feel nauseated when I think about it. I'm sure it did nothing to improve my health, but it's something we have to come to terms with. 


So I'm recovering on both levels, but still have a way to go. I think it's a good sign that I felt like writing this today because so far, it has been a very silent spring.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment