Saturday, February 9, 2013

Challenge - Day 9: "Where You Sleep"

It has been quite a day for me and my head is buzzing with thoughts about the past and plans for some serious writing on my novel. I received (and answered) a long email today from my former journalism teacher, about whom I wrote in a post last month when I reconnected with my best friend from high school. My friend and I have been texting back and forth all afternoon, working on getting me off my ass and motivated to finish my novel. In the middle of all of that, I baked a pina colada pie and a huge chicken and biscuits casserole for my husband's poker game tonight. My body is tired, but my mind is firing on all cylinders. Now let's see if I can switch gears and get to today's topic of my self-imposed writing challenge. 

I dearly love where I sleep. It is my favorite place in the house. I spend a lot of my time there. It's where I read most of the time, watch television and surf the web/ check email/ browse Facebook, etc. on my iPad. I share this space with my husband and two dogs. Maybe I should more correctly state that my dogs share this sleeping space with my husband and me . . . if they have to . . . reluctantly. But most often the dogs and I share the bed in the evenings, with my husband coming in at 10:00pm to watch "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" followed by "The Colbert Report." My husband usually has to revert to trickery to claim his space, but that's a whole post in and of itself.

For years I have been a bed linens junkie. I have silk sheets, high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, bamboo fiber sheets, flannel sheets, "Raining Cats and Dogs" print sheets. You name it, I probably have it sheets. But my most recent find and now new favorite sheets are made by Eucalyptus Origins and sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The sheets are made of a fabric called Tencel which is produced from the wood pulp of eucalyptus trees. Now I realize that, once again, I have probably fallen for someone's brilliant marketing scheme for using the byproducts of paper-making, but I don't really care. I love these sheets and have already bought a second set. The fabric is strong and smooth without being too heavy and has that all-important "feels great on my skin" factor. They have a moisture control capability that is essential for, let us say, menopausal women. So far they have not pilled up when washed (I hate that) and come out of the dryer looking perfect and wrinkle-free. Not that I would even think of ironing a sheet, but the idea of wrinkle-free makes me happy. The sheets stay cool and are deep enough to cover our mattress with memory-foam topper without slipping off. This is important, too. I hate it when I have to re-stretch the fitted sheet over the corners every morning. I find myself longing for the feel of the sheets whenever I pass by the bed during the day, wishing I could climb in for just a few minutes . . . often I do. 

Years ago when I was in Scotland with my sisters and Maureen, we stayed at a hotel that had a long advertising flyer (about 8 inches by 20 inches) on each bed. It said something like, "We guarantee you the best night you've ever had in this bed or your money back." I saved it then because I thought it would be great fun for a single woman (me) to frame it and hang it above her bed. Somehow I never got around to doing that, but I still have the sign and have been thinking that I might use it now. That's how much I love where I sleep. 

Thanks for stopping by. Gotta' go now. My head is still buzzing.  
 

1 comment:

  1. So glad your head is buzzing. There are lots of good things in there, and I can't wait for you to let some more of them out. Also? I think hanging that sign would have been a great idea . . . you know, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete